REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1302362

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1984

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302362 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 13:10:27.

Location

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Stockbridge

National Grid Reference: SU 35961 34997

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 3535 & SU33SE STOCKBRIDGE STOCKBRIDGE (south side)

15/31 and 7/31 Remains of Old Church

GV II*

Chancel of old church. Circa 1300, rest demolished c1866. Rubble flint mostly rendered with stone dressings and brick repairs. Chancel has C14 2-light trefoiled E window. To N small NE buttress, taller NW buttress and on wall memorials; C17 to Jones Cesom, 1737 to Anne Gauntlet, 1764 to Thomas Gauntlet, 1729 to Edward Avenvile, 1774 to John Attwood. S wall has low square opening with timber lintel at E with reset corbel blocks either side. To W late C13 pointed 2 chamfered order arch with hollow chamfered impost with bead, blocked in, orginally to S chapel. To W late C13 pointed, 2 order chancel arch with simply mounded capitals but carved breasts as stops to returns, and shafts with moulded bases. Arch blocked in but in centre reset C15 door of 2 moulded orders with C19 plank door with studs and straps each side short buttress. Inside older large pointed rear arch to E window. Each side painted on wall achievements of royal arms, to S 'ER 1588', to N 'GR 1726'. In N Wall 2 blocked painted windows. Memorial on N wall 1683 to Mary Gibes. In SE is pointed niche with damaged piscina below. To W round arch with slight chamfer, possibly sedilion. Inside is square low window. C17 altar table. Roof has ceiling above cambered tie. VCH; 1911; Vol 4; p485.

Listing NGR: SU3549935143

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 140401

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1911), 485

End of official listing