CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1302427

Date first listed: 05-Dec-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302427 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 22:42:01.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester (District Authority)

Parish: Wonston

National Grid Reference: SU 48878 39271

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 43 NE WONSTON STOKE CHARITY

4/29 Church of St Michael 5.12.55

GV I

Parish church. Circa 1190, mid C13, mid C14, C15, C17. Flint rubble mainly rendered with stone dressings, old plain tile roof, with medieval ridge tiles. Nave, N arcade and chancel arch. Circa 1190, and chancel rebuilt 1225- 50. Mid C14 W bays to aisle and nave with squat broach spire. N chapel to chancel rebuilt C15. Chancel has C15 perp. 3 light E window and 2 C13 S lancets. Hampton Chapel has square headed 3-light cinquefoiled N window and 2-light perp E window. At SE of nave early C14 2-light decorated window. S doorway C14, plain with 2 chamfered orders and C19 timberframed, tiled porch. W window 3- light early C14 decorated. Aisle has renewed C14 2-light perp W window, C19 2- light-window and reset C12 doorway with zig-zag moulding. Spire is oak shingled. Inside E window has some C15 glass and both lancet sills carry down, one as sedile, other to low window. On N wide C15 arch of 2 hollow chamfered orders on splayed, recessed jambs, with moulded capitals, to chapel. Chapel E window has moulded rear arch with Hampton shield on label; some C15 glass. On S wall frag- ments of C13 wall painting. W wall has plain, chamfered round arch of uncertain date. C15 roof low pitched with arched braces and embattled wallplate. Tomb chest with lid brasses to Thomas Hampton & family, 1483. Panelled tomb chest to John Waller, 1525, in front gravestone to Richard Waller, 1552. Tomb chest to Sir Thomas Phelipps, 1626. C12 chancel arch round of 2 orders, outer with roll and band of zig-zag moulding. Capitals have reeded foliage, nook shafts with spreading moulded bases. C12 2 bay arcade has heavy octagonal pier and responds, unmoulded arches and capitals of many scallops. Early C17 nave roof has moulded wallplate and arch braces with pendants. S E window has recess below with surviving brass to Thomas Wayte, 1482. In aisle C12 square capital with foliage of trailing vine, part of pillar piscina, and C15 sculpture illustrating Mass of St-Gregory. At W end incomplete tomb chest and back to Sir James Phelipps, 1652. Under E arcade arch pair of early C16 Purbeck marble altar tombs, with shields in quatrefoils. Nearby C12 font with other fittings C19. 3 bells of 1606 and mid C15. VCH; 1908; Vol III; p.449-451. Buildings of England, Hampshire; Pevsner, 1967; p.613.

Listing NGR: SU4868439351

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 145253

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1908), 449-451
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 613

End of official listing