This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1302500



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Buriton

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 142776

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



13/18 Church of St Mary

16.3.54 II*

Parish church. C12 nave of four bays with aisles (rebuilt c1300 (south) and 1764 (north)), C13 chancel and vestry, west tower of 1715, south porch of 1860, and minor later additions. Walls of flint, some malmstone, ironstone to the tower, stone dressings; Victorian Gothic windows, mostly small coupled cusped lancets, but tracery in the chancel, small buttresses. Tile roof, extending to a low eaves above the aisles. Slender plain tower, with battlements and tall narrow openings. Interior: nave arcade of plain recessed arches, on circular columns with square mouldings above scalloped capitals: the chancel has a piscina and sedilia (with cusps within the arches) and an aumbry. C12 Purbeck square font on five columns. There are several wall monuments in the chancel, some of the C18, and two small brass monuments of 1617 and 1698. The choir vestry (south of the tower) contains an altar tomb with iron rails (late C17 and early C18) to the Bilson family. The open framed wood chancel arch is unusual.

Listing NGR: SU7496621407

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 74015 20016


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302500 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 09:14:44.

End of official listing