OLD ALRESFORD PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1302525
Date first listed:
16-Nov-1983
Statutory Address:
OLD ALRESFORD PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD ALRESFORD PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302525 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 12:09:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD ALRESFORD PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Old Alresford
National Grid Reference:
SU 58840 33758

Details

SU 53 SE OLD ALRESFORD OLD ALRESFORD

8/39 Old Alresford Place

II*

Rectory, now Diocesan Centre. Circa 1740 for Dr John Headley, rector. Brick with old plain tile roof. Original 5 by 3 bay building with similar block added to rear circa 1817 and door moved to centre bay of end of original block and mid C19 service wings added. Front 2½ storeys, 5 bays with central bay, and giant pilaster at ends, of blue brick with red brick dressings. Door replaced by sash with stone console brackets either side supporting stone slab porch roof. Sashes all 18-pane with louvred stone sills, blind boxes, lowered and rubbed brick arches. Moulded brick 1st floor string course and 5 12-pane sashes with blind boxes, rubbed brick arches and stone cills. Central window in raised panel with blind opening below, pilasters either side supporting elliptical rubbed brick arch. Moulded 2nd floor string course. 5 9-pane fixed windows, with blind boxes and rubbed brick arches. Moulded, toothed brick cornice and parapet with stone coping. Inside on ground floor at front large drawing room of 1817 with contempor- ary fireplace, plaster decoration to walls, with bracketed cornice and Ionic screen dividing off third of room. Plainer staircase hall has domed glass cupola, Other rooms have C18 fittings.

Listing NGR: SU5876034222

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
145198
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/13890/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Sawyer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].