CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1302540

Date first listed: 16-May-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302540 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 15:49:27.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Overton

National Grid Reference: SU 51463 49985

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:

1. OVERTON CHURCH ROAD 5229

SU 5149 16.5.66 Church of St Mary 6/4

II

The Church shall be upgraded to" GRADE II*"

------------------------------------

1. 5229 OVERTON CHURCH ROAD

SU 5149 16.5.66 Church of St Mary 6/4

II

2. Medieval, restorations of 1853, 1897 and 1908. Nave of about 1180 of 3 arcades, extends at the west by one wider bay (replacing a tower), with replacement and extended aisles of C14, C13 chancel, modern vestry, west tower of 1908 (replacing C15 tower), south porch. Tile roof, carried over aisles and vestry. Walling of flint and stone rubble with stone dressings. Perpendicular 2-light windows to aisles, taller traceried lights to the chancel. Inside the main features are the arcade, the circular columns and later columns, the medieval folding south door. The church was restored and re-roofed in 1853 The tower of 1908 is of ashlar walling with lower flint panels, with a shingled broach spire (of 1913).

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 139319

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing