This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1302545

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Earl's Croome

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 152555

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 84 SE EARL'S CROOME EARLS CROOME

3/52 Church of St Nicholas

25.3.68

- II*

Church, Norman with later alterations and 1832 West tower. Blue lias stone with some red sandstone dressings and Bath stone C19 dressings. Nave and chancel, nave walls embracing West tower. 3 stage tower of squared rubble stone with string courses and battlements. Neo-Norman West door and 2 light window above. 2-light pointed window to 3 sides of top stage. Nave 4 windows to South side, 1 C15 renewed 2 light, 1 C19 2 light, crude C13 2 light window with cusped top-light, blue lias tracery and Norman rear arch. Similar window to North side, also 1 2-light C19 window and 2-light Dec window with quatrefoil head. Red sandstone tracery. Each side blocked fine Norman doorway, 1 order of columns, roll-mould and zig-zag round arch. C19 nave roof with knee braces and collar. Fine Norman chancel arch with zig-zag moulding and abaci continued as imposts, carved decoration, lion to South abacus. Zig-zag single shafts. Chancel with small Norman gable light, pattern carving to outside and patterned string course below. Deep splayed Norman reveals to windows. 2-light cusped late C13 East window tracery. 1 round arched North window. South side 1 flat- headed window with crude 2-light wooden tracery and 1 single early C13 light. Plain C19 roof. Jacobean pulpit and remade C17 panelling to sanctuary and choir stalls. East window 1864, good, and one c.1860-60 Nave South window. Remnant of medieval wooden door to South door. Ref: Pevsner: Worcs. pp 138-9, VCH.

Listing NGR: SO8703542025

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1901)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968)

National Grid Reference: SO 87035 42025

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302545 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 07:29:36.

End of official listing