CHURCH OF ST CECILIA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1302548
Date first listed:
16-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CECILIA, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CECILIA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302548 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 17:55:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CECILIA, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Girton
National Grid Reference:
SK 82536 66205

Details

SK 86 NW GIRTON HIGH STREET (east side)

3/77 Church of St. Cecilia 16.1.67 G.V. II

Parish Church: C13, C14, C15, rebuilt 1879 by Ewan Christian; coursed blue lias rubble with ashlar dressings, Westmorland and Welsh slate roofs, coped gables, 2 gable crosses, sanctus bellcote. Nave, chancel, south porch. Off centre C19 gabled timber porch, C14 chamfered doorway, flanked by 2 single lancets, central buttress with 2 setoffs; beyond, single C15 cusped lancet with trefoils in spandrels; single lancet to east. West end has 2 C14 lancets in splayed reveals; above, C19 circular window with geometrical tracery; single gable stack. Nave north side has single chamfered lancet, Tudor arched blocked opening; to east, one double and one triple lancet in square headed chamfered reveals. Chancel north side has C19 priest's door and single lancet; south side has C19 priest's door and C15 double lancet with plain hood mould. East window C19 triple lancet with curvilinear tracery. Interior has plain C19 fittings, octagonal font on broached octagonal stem, timber pulpit on stone base, memorial tablets 1851 and 1864, C19 arch-braced kingpost roof. Chancel arch C13 with half-pier responds with moulded capitals and water-holding bases. Common rafter roof with struts to collar beam.

Listing NGR: SK8253666205

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
242602
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12412/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Godson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].