This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

STAUNTON COURT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STAUNTON COURT

List entry Number: 1302677

Location

STAUNTON COURT, LEDBURY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Staunton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Mar-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 126023

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STAUNTON LEDBURY ROAD SO 7829-7929 (south side) 13/204 Staunton Court (formerly listed as part of Court Farmhouse with barn 35 yards to south, and dovecote) 2.10.54

GV II

Farmhouse. C16, C17, C18, C19, restored c1880 by F.W.Waller. Left wing and hall facing church English garden wall bond on stone plinth; left single-storey room English bond brickwork: right wing stone base to courtyard, rendered panels between timber framing, said to be backed brickwork, above: brick-nogged timber framing to leanto wing in front: tiled roofs. Irregular 'U' plan, facing church: cross wing 1½ storeys, left 2, with single- storey extensions, right wing 2½ storeys. Courtyard open towards church, up 4 stone steps, bounded to front by stone wall. Behind, on right single-storey timber-framed lean-to to end of wing, extends round right corner. Four-pane window right, 6-pane sash left. Above, storey-height studs, continued below lm above main horizontal timber at floor level to eaves. Three-light mullion and transom first floor, braces corner post to main timber over, decorative bracing above window. Hipped roof, hipped dormer with 2-light casement. Large external brick chimney on right return. Left return boarded door to leanto; 4-light mullion and transom in stone ground floor. Timber framing above as on end: 2 long braces to sill from intermediate post: angle brace corner post to wallplate. Two-light mullion and transom window, herringbone bracing above: 2-light casement in hipped dormer. End block: on right half-glazed C20 lobby with flat roof, against lean-to half- glazed lobby, tiled roof, herringbone nogging to timber-framing below: wide verge on brackets. To left, wall of hall, 4-light mullion and transom window, cambered brick arch; glazed roof to open leanto verandah over. Above, 3 hipped dormers (one on left behind further wing); each with 2-light casement. Brick stack from large external chimney on far side hall. To left single- storey wing, external chimney on right return gable. Front paired 8-pane sashes, timber hood over with 2 elongated diamonds (this, hall wall and lobby C19). To left slightly higher eaves to C18 left wing of U, right return 3-light mullion and transom at first floor, boarded door up one stone step from quarter landing, up further 7 stone steps from courtyard. Board on timber corbels over. Dentil eaves, hipped roof. Yard wall sets out from corner of wing: end wall boarded door to ground floor, flat stone lintel. Set back on left projecting former cider house, boarded door on right return under flat, brick-on-edge lintel. Window to left with 2 boarded shutters: dentil eaves. Two-light window in end gable. Interior: hall, large fireplace with elliptical head, 1670 cast- iron fireback; small ovolo to arrisses ceiling beams. Room on right at rear panelled, 5 sections high. Wide chamfer to beams over front room, right wing: hand-operated water pump with fly- wheel in leanto. Main door from hall to rear, garden porch has ovolo and cavetto moulding to surround. Outer porch doorway moulded stone jamb, capitals, semi-circular head with hoodmould and coat of arms over. Right wing restored by F.W.Waller. Forms group with Church of St. James and farmbuildings (q.v.). (D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970; D4183 1/5 at C.R.O.; V.C.H. Worcestershire, Vol.IV, 1924.)

Listing NGR: SO7823729202

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SO 78237 29202

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302677 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 01:22:32.

End of official listing