CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302717.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 22:55:01.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Bassetlaw (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 76471 94774
SK 79 SE MISTERTON CHURCH STREET
6/76 Church of All 1.2.67 Saints
Parish Church, C13, C14, C15, C17,C19. C20; tower and spire rebuilt 1847-8, including partial restoration. Ashlar with ashlar dressings, coursed squared rubble, rendering, lead roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch. West tower, 2 stages; striated ashlar, second stage rendered. Chamfered plinth, string course, broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. Plain buttresses, single setoff, to north-east and south -east corners, engaged with aisles. Clasp buttresses to south west and north west corners, 2 setoffs plus plinths. To west, single chamfered and rebated lancet window with hoodmould, mask stops and dogtooth. Second stage has 4 chamfered and rebated openings containing C14 paired lancets with Y tracery; hoodmould with dogtooth and mask stops. North aisle, 7 bays, has chamfered plinth, moulded string course, eaves and parapet, with 7 gargoyles. Diagonal buttresses at north east and north west corners, plus 6 intermediate buttresses, all 2 setoffs. West window C15 chamfered opening containing cusped head triple lancet with panel tracery. North side has, to west C15 4 centred arched doorway with moulded surround, now partly blocked and with C20 glazing. To east, 3 C19 chamfered and rebated openings containing Decorated style triple lancets with cusped heads, panel tracery, and chamfered mullions. To east again, C14 chamfered and rebated opening containing double lancet with Decorated tracery and coved mullions; to east, C14 coved opening containing double lancet with cusped heads and panel tracery. East window C19 chamfered and rebated opening with triple Decorated lancet. To its left, early C18 memorial cartouche with skull and drapery; inscription illegible. Nave clerestorey, 3 bays, has moulded eaves on south side only; coped gable with cross. On either side, 3 C15 square headed coved and rebated openings with label moulds, containing plain triple lancets. Chancel, 2 bays, has on south side single intermediate buttress, 2 setoffs; single buttress to north-east, pair of angle buttresses to south-east, all 3 setoffs. To east only, chamfered plinth and moulded string course. East end has chamfered and rebated surround containing C17 quadruple lancet with trefoil heads and unusual tracery, with hood mould and mask stops. Above, coped gable with cross. To right, C18 memorial tablet to Nicholas Walton, Master Shipwright; and slate memorial tablet, 1771, to Robert Hickson, rope maker. South side has, to west, four centred arched splayed opening containing C15 triple lancet with cusped heads; to east, four centred arched priest's door with splayed opening; to east again, two 4 centred arched splayed openings containing C15 double lancets. South aisle, 3 bays, chamfered plinth, moulded string course, moulded coped parapet. Diagonal buttress to south east, plus 3 more buttresses, all 2 setoffs. 3 coved and splayed openings with label moulds, each containing C15 triple lancet with cusped heads. South porch, C15, square plan, engaged with south aisle. Single diagonal buttress to south-west, 2 setoffs; chamfered plinth, moulded string course; above, coped gable with cross. C19 chamfered pointed arched doorway with plain hood mould. C15 kingpost roof with moulded tie beam and purlins. Porch contains 2 headstones 1797 and 1861 and single slate headstone to Richard and Mary Kellet, 1721 and 1722. South door-way, double rebated and chamfered opening with cove end roll moulded head with dogtooth band. C19 panelled door. Nave north arcade, C13 and C14, 3 bays; 2 octagonal piers with chamfered square bases and stylised oak leaf capitals; arches double chamfered and rebated, with mask imposts. South arcade, C14, 2 octagonal piers with tapered octagonal bases and moulded capitals; double chamfered and rebated arches with octagonal responds. Clerestorey, rendered, with 3 square openings either side. C19 kingpost roof with curved brackets from corbels to moulded tie beams and principal timbers. 2 gilt angels on easternmost brackets. Font, C13, decorated plinth with tapered octagonal bowl, 1660. C19 pulpit, lectern and plain pews. Royal Arms on board inscribed 'J. Addinell of Doncaster, painter, 1721'. Tower Arch, C13, triple chamfered and rebated, plain hood mould and imposts. 4 centred arched doorway to tower. North tower arch, c.1200, triple chamfered and rebated, with octagonal stiff-leaf imposts, dogtooth label mould with mask stops. Contains C20 4 centred arched doorway with close-boarded door. North aisle, rendered; westernmost bay blocked to form vestry. Splayed window openings, third from west with C15 stained glass. In fourth bay to east, C13 double chamfered and rebated arch with stiff leaf imposts. East window has important stained glass by Piper and Reyntiens, 1965. East end has rectangular aumbry in north wall and memorial tablets 1808, 1824 and 3 C20. Roof, C19 with some re-used timber; moulded rafters, chamfered purlins, curved brackets from corbels. Plain C19 pews. Chancel arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated with plain octagonal imposts. Chancel north arcade c.1200 and later C13. 2 octagonal piers with tapered octagonal bases, double chamfered and rebated arches with plain hood moulds; to west, respond with moulded capital; to east, plain octagonal respond. East window has plain chamfered and splayed reveal, stained glass 1901; re-set corbels at either side at sill level. South side has, to east, pointed headed C14 piscina; 3 windows with splayed reveals and C19 stained glass; square headed priest's door. C19 kingpost roof with chamfered tie beams and purlins supported by curved brackets from corbels with traceried panels. To south, memorial, 1889, to north, classical style memorial tablet, 1836 and 1847. South aisle, rendered. Splayed window reveals, central window with stained glass, 1918. C19 roof. East end has part of C14 Decorated screen as reredos, and fragment of C17 carved panelling. 4 C19 memorial brasses. Plain C19 pews.
Listing NGR: SK7647794772
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing