CHURCH OF ST PHILLIP AND ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1302745
Date first listed:
06-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILLIP AND ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PHILLIP AND ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302745 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 19:00:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILLIP AND ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tarrington
National Grid Reference:
SO 61861 40688

Details

TARRINGTON CP TARRINGTON SO 64 SW

1/227 Church of Saint Phillip and Saint James 6.3.67

GV II*

Parish church. Mainly C12 nave and chancel, C16 tower, north arcade and aisle added 1836, the whole restored late C19 to early C20. Sandstone rubble and sandstone dressings with tiled roofs. Three-bay nave, three- bay chancel, west tower, north aisle and south porch. Nave has three late Cl9 to early C20 Decorated style windows, the north aisle two, with a re-set C12 blocked round-headed doorway to the east side containing two scalloped capitals and a plain typanum. Chancel has two single-light C12 windows with diapered heads in the north wall; the rest of the windows restored C15: two with two cinquefoiled lights and Y-tracery opposite each other in the eastern bay; 3-light east window; 4-light cinquefoiled window on south side and to the east of it a blocked C16 Tudor-arch doorway. Tower is C16 of three externally undivided stages, diagonal buttresses to north-west and south-west, four twin (re-used?) bell-openings each with cinquefoil heads separated by an octagonal-shaft, a 3-light late C19 to early C20 west window under a 4-centred head and a C18 doorway in the south wall. South porch is early C20 with ogee-shaped tie-beam to front. South doorway is C12, round head, west capital similar to those on blocked north doorway and the east capital depicting (in restored form?) a man and a horse. Interior: barrel roofs; C12 chancel arch of two orders, the outer with restored chevrons, capitals similar to those of north and south doorways plus heads, patterned abaci; C13 or C14 piscina in chancel has 2-centred head and chamfers, above it in the east window of the south side are frag- ments of medieval stained glass including a crowned Virgin, probably C15; heads of C12 north windows in chancel have strange drilled holes, beneath them a C14 effigy of a woman set in a gabled crocketted ogee-headed recess decorated with ball-flowers and dog-teeth. North aisle separated from nave by two C19 arches with four centres supported on an octagonal pier. C16 tower-arch is 2-centred with crenellated imposts; in the south-west corner of the tower a tapered stone coffin-lid with incised plain cross from each arm of which hangs a ring. C14 font has octagonal bowl with cusped panels supported on eight fillet-moulded shafts. Pulpit is C19, 4-sided, supported on octagonal shaft, with top rail cresting, ogee and quatrefoil decoration to the panels. In 1931 an excavation revealed that the church had until C15 alterations, a chancel-apse. (RCHM Vol II, p 182-3).

Listing NGR: SO6186140688

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
152895
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 182-3

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/09876/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Sabey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].