CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1302797

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302797 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 07:35:03.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Longstock

National Grid Reference: SU 35896 37077

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 35 37 LONGSTOCK LONGSTOCK (west side)

12/6 CHURCH OF ST MARY

GV II

Parish church. 1876-80 by W White. Flint with tile bands and stone dressings, old plain tile roof, shingled spire. Plan of chancel and NW vestry on end of N aisle to nave, with tower in NW corner. Plinth with stone offset and 2 thin tile bands at approx top and bottom of windows all round church. E end of chancel has tall 3-light trefoiled window with similar in E end of vestry, and stepped buttresses either side. S wall has 2 lancets, E one trefoiled and pointed door between with trefoiled light over. Nave has to S stepped buttresses at E & W of trefoiled 2-light with trefoil in head window. In centre 3-light trefoiled window and to W gabled timber porch on stone and flint walls, with round arch containing carved gates and crown post over, with trefoiled lancet to W side. 3-light trefoiled with quatrefoil in head W window. N wall has trefoiled lancet in vestry, in aisle 2 trefoiled 2-light, with quatrefoil in head, windows either side of chimney with buttress supporting it and offset in above eaves level. Pointed 2 order door to W. NW tower has 2 lancets on bottom stage to W. In middle stage quatrefoil to N and lancet to W. 2 bell openings on each face of top stage with large shingled louvres and squat broach spire with vane. In NE corner tall N Buttress. Inside all original. Impressive chancel has reredos and panelled sanctuary with C17 altar rails with turned balusters, moulded hand and base rails, stained glass by Mayer of Munich. C15 encaustic tiles reset behind altar. Roof with horizontally set angels on corbels to arched braces. In vestry pieces of C15 stonework and C13 window and piscina. Pointed chancel arch with lily and rose capitals. Timber screen. In NE of N aisle medieval coffin lid in floor. Arcade of 3 bays with pointed arches on round columns. 2 corona-lucis survive. Arched brace roof with ties to inner trusses and angels on corbels to others. Font by S door restored Cl5 of octagonal bowl on octagonal shaft on octagonal base. Bells of 1591 and 1617.

Listing NGR: SU3611937483

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 140228

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing