WEST BRANCH LIBRARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1302878

Date first listed: 14-Dec-1978

Statutory Address: WEST BRANCH LIBRARY, OXFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEST BRANCH LIBRARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302878 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 15:49:58.

Location

Statutory Address: WEST BRANCH LIBRARY, OXFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Reading (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 69618 73673

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OXFORD ROAD 1. 5128 (North Side) West Branch Library SU 67 SE 16/543 II 2. 1907 designed by F W Albury. A good example in "Wren-naissance" style. 1 1/2 storeys. Red brick with ashlar dressings, moulded plinth, modillion cornice and cope to parapet. 3 bays each side or fabled porch break with paired glazing bar casement windows flanked by paired pilasters. Hipped tiled roof with 2 tripartite segmental dormers behind parapet. Wooden cupola with Doric peristyle and lead dome. Segmental headed entrance with concave surround. Gable over has 3 busts - Milton, Shakespeare and (possibly) Darwin. Stone commemorative tablets on each side laid by Edward Jackson (mayor) and Dr Jameson Hurry (local antiquary) 16.x.1907. Lobby has marble commemorative plaques naming architect, donor Andrew Carnegie, G W Palmer (who opened it) and builders (T H Kingerlee and Sons). Interior: top lit central hall with stained glass (The Abbey, Reading and University badges). 3 rooms, side rooms have plaster barrel vault, and modillion cornice and dormers in ceiling. Glazed screen fronts desk to north room.

Listing NGR: SU6961873673

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 39111

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing