HOPPER MAUSOLEUM NORTH-EAST OF CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1302881

Date first listed: 15-Apr-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Jun-1986

Statutory Address: HOPPER MAUSOLEUM NORTH-EAST OF CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOPPER MAUSOLEUM NORTH-EAST OF CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302881 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 18:02:43.

Location

Statutory Address: HOPPER MAUSOLEUM NORTH-EAST OF CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shotley Low Quarter

National Grid Reference: NZ 04539 55212

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHOTLEY LOW QUARTER GREYMARE HILL NZ 05 NW 10/261 Hopper Mausoleum north-east of 15.4.69 Church of St. Andrew. (formerly listed as Hopper family Mausoleum in St Andrews Churchyard)

GV 1

Mausoleum allegedly erected by Humphrey Hopper of Black Hedley (q,v.) in memory-of his wife Jane, d,1752. Tooled ashlar. Square plan with forecourt on south. Artisan Mannerist style of C17 appearance. Lower part has segmental-arched recess with hoodmould, holding 2. recumbent effigies; inscribed panel above to later C18/early C19 members of family; similar panel on north records earlier memebers. Upper part has Tuscan arcade and shell-headed niches with allegorical standing figures; twin niches on north and south with paired columns between. Above entablature, open scrolly pediment topped by reclining figures and enclosing Hopper arms (south), scallop shell (north) and shields with rosette (at sides). Stepped pyramidal roof with pyramidal angle finials carrying square arched cupola with similar finials at angles and on swept pyramidal cap.

Forecourt has low wall with chamfered coping and 4 piers to front, with trefoil-headed panels and pedimented tops; single side piers have steep pyramidal finials. Simple renewed cast-iron railings and central gate.

Stylistically it would appear more likely that the mausoleum was built by the Humphrey Hopper recorded in 1663 rather than the mid-C18 Humphrey to whom it is ascribed (the inscribed panels are of C19 date).

Listing NGR: NZ0453955212

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 240632

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing