This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE MILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MILL

List entry Number: 1302896

Location

THE MILL, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Coln St. Aldwyns

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Feb-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 127406

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COLN ST ALDWYNS MAIN STREET SP 10 SW 6/158

(west side) The Mill (previously listed as Corn Mill and Cottages abutting occupied by Mrs E.K Smith and A. Martin) 23.1.52 II Mill and formerly 2 houses, now one house. Mid-late C18 house; early-mid C19 additions. Mill building dated 'SIR M.E.H.B. BART. 1858'. Random rubble limestone; brick chimneys; stone slate roofs. Two-storey with attic mill block; angled linking section to former row of houses at right angles, all 2-storey. West side: doorway with timber lintel and 2 casements to mill. 1844 dated addition with segmental arched loft doorway. House projecting to left has south facing elevation with 2 half gables both having horizontal sliding sashes; casement and doorway to ground floor both with timber lintels. South gable to mill: parapet gabled end with 2-light attic casement; datestone (see above) set over. East side: 2 doorways to mill, one above other; various timber fixed lights. Single casement to each floor of linking section to right, leaded to upper floor, both with timber lintels. House projecting forward to right has mixed fenestration: 2 tripartite ground floor sashes; 3 horizontal sliding upper floor sashes. Hipped porch in angle with linking section to mill. Interior: mill has set of corn milling machinery complete except for mill wheel. Rebuilt in C19, for use as corn mill, by Sir Michael Edward Hicks Beach. Important position at south end of Main Street. (A.R.J. Jurica, 'Coln St Aldwyns' in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, pp 44- 45)

Listing NGR: SP1458004916

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1981), 44-45

National Grid Reference: SP1458004916

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302896 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 02:35:13.

End of official listing