METHODIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1302938
Date first listed:
25-Aug-1977
Statutory Address:
METHODIST CHURCH, CHAPEL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of METHODIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302938 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 22:23:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
METHODIST CHURCH, CHAPEL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Alnwick
National Grid Reference:
NU 18565 13187

Details

CHAPEL LANE 1. 5330 (West Side) Methodist Church NU 1813 SE 1/204 II GV 2. Erected 1786, restored 1886. Now a 2 storey meeting house. Four windows to south. Ashlar with moulded eaves cornice. Slate roof with coped verges and apex stones. Small central gable with cross above and foiled tablet with above dates. First floor windows have depressed arch heads with 2 and 3 pointed lights. Five windows on ground floor 4 with 3 lights and one single light, pointed with shouldered heads and cutting through a string course. North elevation has 2 windows on 1st floor and tablet inscribed "Wesleyan Chapel 1786" Projecting extension at west end of 2 storeys with gabled half dormer. The north front has two 1886 porches with fretted bargeboards flanking a 4-light bay; cusped arches to doorways. Interior contains panelled pulpit from which Wesley preached. Dentil cornice to upper floor.

Listing NGR: NU1856513187

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
235670
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00483/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alastair Cochrane. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].