This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1302951

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Itchen Valley

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 145683

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 5332 ITCHEN VALLEY ITCHEN ABBAS

14/6 Church of St John The Baptist

5.12.55

GV II

Parish church. Rebuilt 1863-83 by W. Coles reusing C12 arches. Knapped flint and stone dressings, old plaintile roof. Neo-Norman cruciform plan of chancel and nave with transepts, and W bellcote. Plinth round whole church, and clasping buttresses to all corners. E chancel wall has pair of round-headed windows with shafts and zig-zag hood and round window above. Round-headed lancets with shafts in side walls. Stone corbel table eaves. Nave has on side to E and W of transepts a large round-headed lancet with zig-zag surround. W end of 3 panels with round-headed window in each,round gable window and corbel table gable. S transept has round headed side doors and on gable end central buttress, 2 low rectangular lancets 2 high round-headed windows and round gable window. N transept has gabled E porch with reset C12 restored doorway with plain inner order and order of columns with single scallop capitals impost and zig-zag ornament. N wall has buttress in centre and 2 large round-headed windows with round gable window. Small gabled stone bellcote with roof projecting to E. Inside E chancel windows under one rear arch with marble shafts and zig-zag head. NW monument: 1832 Mary itynne. Chancel arch C12 2 orders inner plain outer has heavy billets on impost with scallop capital to S and flat leaf capital to N. S transept has low vestry at S end with 2 round headed doors and above vestry 2 C18 foliated shields with monument 1826 to Arabella Sawbridge and 1809 to Rev. Charles Powlett. N transept has early C,19 font with shallow octagonal bowl on arcaded shaft. Tablets 1733 to John Newey Dean of Chichester; 1737 John and Samuel Newey (sons) in porch. Barrel vaulted roof with interesting design of roof at crossing.

Listing NGR: SP4850432255

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 53454 32733

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302951 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 04:15:40.

End of official listing