KIELDER CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1302999

Date first listed: 07-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: KIELDER CASTLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of KIELDER CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302999 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 12:44:16.

Location

Statutory Address: KIELDER CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Kielder

National Grid Reference: NY 63195 93446

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KIELDER KIELDER NY 69 SW 20/24 Kielder Castle

GV II

Shooting box now used as cafe and visitors' centre. 1775 by William Newton for the Duke of Northumberland and from a design of the Duke's own. Altered mid C19 by the Alnwick Castle estate office and again in 1926. Ashlar with Welsh slate roof. Earlier work in Gothick style. C19 parts in Tudor style. A courtyard house. Mid-C19 irregular south front. To left a large castellated 3-storey section with canted oriel window and several paired lancets; projecting from this an extension of 1926 in Gothick style. Recessed L-plan section to right has C18 masonry, plinth and string course but C19 detail including round- headed doorway and 2-light mullioned windows; gabled roof with kneelers.

Right return 5 bays. Left 2 bays in Tudor style. Right 3 bays have 6-pane sashes under hoodmoulds on ground floor, 9-pane sashes with Tudor-arched heads and intersecting glazing bars on first floor. Left return has similar detail but irregular openings.

Rear five bays with central tall round-headed carriage arch under gable, two- bay, single-storey linking ranges and two-storey, cross-gabled end bays with Gothick windows. Centre and end bays were formerly castellated.

Interior has 2 staircases with stick balusters. Several 6-panel doors and internal shutters.

Diary of Charles Richardson, and records of payments to William Newton held among Alnwick Castle records, establish Newton as the architect.

Listing NGR: NY6319593446

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 239684

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing