CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1303009
Date first listed:
18-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, A 691

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303009 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 06:33:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, A 691

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shotley Low Quarter
National Grid Reference:
NZ 06360 52542

Details

SHOTLEY LOW QUARTER A691 (North Side) NZ 05 SE (Snods Edge)

17/240 Church of St. John.

II

Parish Church, 1836 on new site, replacing St. Andrews, Greymare Hill (q.v.); organ chamber mid-C19, chancel 1903. Squared stone with cut dressings; graduated Lakeland slate roof. Nave with south porch and north-east organ chamber, chancel with 5-sided apse. Early C19 parts in C13 style, chancel Free C13/C14 style. Chamfered plinth. Porch has studded door in double-chamfered pointed arch with chamfered hood; blind lancet over in steeply-pitched coped gable with moulded kneelers. East of porch 3 lancets; 3 similar windows on north of nave and 2 in west end. Coped gable with moulded kneelers. West bellcote on moulded corbels: twin pointed openings under coped gablet. Organ chamber half-hipped to north with lancet window and corbelled hip. Chancel has 2 early C19 lancets re-set on south, cinquefoil- headed lights to apse and stepped sill string. Beneath central light, panel with ornate canopied niches, to Walton-Wilson family. Wrought-iron ridge ornament and finial cross.

Interior: Plain chamfered arch to south door. Double-chamfered 4-centred arch to organ chamber; richly-moulded chancel arch in C13 style. Pilasters and string course to chancel; credence table and piscina with shelf. Minton tiles, good early C20 glass in apse. Nave roof has collar- beam trusses on moulded corbels. Early C19 creed and commandments boards.

Listing NGR: NZ0636052542

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
240611
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01664/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].