This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MEAT HOUSE CIRCA 15 METRES EAST OF SHERBORNE HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MEAT HOUSE CIRCA 15 METRES EAST OF SHERBORNE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1303030

Location

MEAT HOUSE CIRCA 15 METRES EAST OF SHERBORNE HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sherborne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 130637

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHERBORNE SHERBORNE VILLAGE SP 1614 9/200 Meat House cl5m east of Sherborne House GV II

Former meat house now an electricity sub station. Mid C19 matching style of stableblock (q.v.). Ashlar. Slate roof. Octagonal plan. Double wall with low segmental-headed openings around bottom of each face (except on north) allowing air circulation between the two walls. Blind windows above the segmental-headed openings on all sides. C20 louvred doors on north side. Octagonal, wooden, louvred lantern at apex of roof. Ogee-curved leaded canopy with weathervane. Interior not accessible. Reputed by some to be a dovecote, and to have been moved from its original position shown in Kip's engraving in Atkyn's History of Gloucestershire published 1712.

Listing NGR: SP1693714686

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Atkyn, R, The Ancient and Present State of Gloucestershire, (1712)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 16 Gloucestershire,

National Grid Reference: SP1693714686

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303030 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 09:25:42.

End of official listing