BISLEY WELLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1303033

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: BISLEY WELLS, WELLS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BISLEY WELLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303033 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 03:37:57.

Location

Statutory Address: BISLEY WELLS, WELLS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt

National Grid Reference: SO 90386 05828

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 9005 BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT WELLS ROAD, Bisley Village (north west side)

13/135 Bisley Wells

II

Set of spring water outlets in wall and associated troughs. Dated 1863 for Thomas Keble; restored 1958. Ashlar limestone. Gothic revival style. Facetted apsidal recess formed in steep bank with 5 water chutes; set of 4 troughs to north east. Each water chute has hooded pointed arch with carved symbols in circular trefoiled recess. Water pours onto stone seat, running to outlet at each end feeding 2 further chutes. Above hoods is carved stone script: 'O YE WELLS / BLESS YE THE LORD / PRAISE HIM / AND MAGNIFY HIM / FOR EVER'. Left and right ends of structure inscribed: 'RESTORED' and 'AD 1863 & 1958' respectively. Stone troughs discharge one into another. Traditionally decorated by villagers in annual 'Dressing the Wells' ceremony.

Listing NGR: SO9033905789

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 132694

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing