CHURCHYARD WALL AND GATEWAYS SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1303040
Date first listed:
03-Sep-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCHYARD WALL AND GATEWAYS SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, ROAD TO ESLINGTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCHYARD WALL AND GATEWAYS SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303040 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 12:12:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCHYARD WALL AND GATEWAYS SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, ROAD TO ESLINGTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Whittingham
National Grid Reference:
NU 06664 11937

Details

WHITTINGHAM ROAD TO ESLINGTON NU 0611-0711 (North side) Whittingham Village 25/126 Churclivard wall and pateways south of Church of St. Bartholomew

GV II

Churchyard wall and gateways. C18 and 1860. Later work by George Ferguson, mason. Squared stone and ashlar.

C18 wall c. 5 ft. high with ridged coping.

At west end a stone stile with 5 worn stone steps, and a gateway of 1860 with square corniced piers with pyramidal caps.

At east end, in the corner, the head and base of a medieval cross, reset in C18. The gateway has 5 steps and four piers, 2 with pyramidal caps and 2 with domed caps. Left of the gateway, another small stone stile.



Listing NGR: NU0666411937

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
236211
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/09471/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Ballan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].