CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1303052

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Dec-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303052 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 21:50:48.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Whitminster

National Grid Reference: SO 76030 09069

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHITMINSTER WHEATENHURST SO 70 NE 6/281 Church of St. Andrew 10.1.55 GV II* Small Anglican church. Cll foundation, earliest work probably of C14, altered and tower added late C15/early C16, north aisle added 1842, restored c1884-5 by Sir Arthur Blomfield. Random coursed and dressed stone, ashlar tower and part ashlar walls, stone slate roof with coped east verges with saddlestones and cross finials. West tower, nave with south porch and north aisle, chancel, with north vestry of 1880s. Tower of 3 stages on moulded plinth with string courses, diagonal stepped buttresses up to top of second stage, embattled parapet with gargoyles and stair vice in north east corner projecting higher as embattled turret. Two-light stone louvred belfry lights on top stage with clock face to south; west side has long 2-light Decorated window over stepped cavetto moulded pointed archway with hoodmould. South porch probably of C15 with small diagonal buttresses flanking moulded pointed archway with sundial over, inner earlier doorway and door with fine original decorative iron hinging, flanking stone wall seats with trefoil squints to each side and stoup to right and Jacobean carved bosses and mouldings to wagon roof. Two-light flanking windows on nave, Perpendicular (with square hoodmould) to left and Decorated to right. Chancel has similar flanking small 3-centred priest's door with square hoodmould and initials PB in spandrels, probably for Priory of Bruton. C19 east window is 3-light Perpendicular, original now in north vestry. Three C19 Decorated 2-light on north side. Interior: 3-bay Decorated arcade of 1842. Ceilings panelled in late C19 when chancel arch renewed. Round arched chamfered entrance to rood stair probably of early C16 on south wall. Several good wall monuments including 2 in north aisle to Lloyd family (owners of Whitminster House, q.v., in C17) - Rebecca, 1625, in marble with small kneeling effigy, and Nathaniel, late C17, in painted stone. Jacobean pulpit. Remains of gilded reredos by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. (Buildings of England: Gloucestershire - the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980; V.C.H., Gloucestershire, Vol X, 1972)

Listing NGR: SO7603009069

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 132539

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1972)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

End of official listing