LECHLADE HALFPENNY BRIDGE TOLLHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1303058

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1958

Statutory Address: LECHLADE HALFPENNY BRIDGE, THAMES STREET

Statutory Address: TOLLHOUSE, THAMES STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LECHLADE HALFPENNY BRIDGE
TOLLHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303058 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 06:03:50.

Location

Statutory Address: LECHLADE HALFPENNY BRIDGE, THAMES STREET

Statutory Address: TOLLHOUSE, THAMES STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Lechlade

National Grid Reference: SU 21338 99346

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LECHLADE THAMES STREET SU 2199 10/230 Lechlade Halfpenny Bridge and Tollhouse (that part in 26.11.52 Cotswold District)

II

Roadbridge carrying Thames Street (A361) over River Thames and toll house. 1792, when Thames Street laid out. Dressed stone. Bridge about 6m wide with coped wall about lm high following considerable arch of bridge and splaying out at each corner. Roadway from toll house to centre district boundary line about 10m. Single large semi-circular arch approximately 8m high at apex, with straight large roll moulded string course over. Side piers each have blind round oculus and very small semi-circular arches at base. Toll house on north east corner, small square of 2 storeys with basement and road-level room in coursed stone with asbestos slate pyramidal roof and brick stack to east. Large roll moulded string course between floors. Square window openings to south and north and door to west straight on to bridge. Said to be named after the halfpenny toll levied until 1839.

Listing NGR: SU2133199328

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 129072

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing