THE NEW INN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1303075
Date first listed:
04-Jun-1952
Statutory Address:
THE NEW INN, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE NEW INN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303075.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 11:00:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE NEW INN, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Lechlade
National Grid Reference:
SU 21436 99504

Details

SU 2199 LECHLADE MARKET PLACE (south side)

10/212 The New Inn

4.6.52

GV II

Large coaching inn. Early C18, recorded as the New Inn from 1754. Brick front and rear, rubble stone, on plinth with chamfered alternating quoins, stone slate roof with moulded stone eaves cornice, brick end stacks and one brick ridge stack, 2 rear brick stacks. Large single front range with 2 rear hipped cross ranges and rear extension forming L-plan, 3 storeys and attic. Six windows, 12-pane sashes with thick glazing bars, splayed brick voussoirs and stone sills. Six-pane sashes on second floor. Three 12-pane sashes on ground floor, large ashlar doorcase left of centre with 2 attached Doric columns on bases with triglyph blocks supporting shallow open dentil pediment and semi-circular soffit with radial fanlight and lamp inset. Door of 6 fielded panels. Large depressed carriage arch to right with stone keystone and piers. Two small gabled dormers with twin wooden casements and moulded wood 'pediments'. Long C20 rear extension not of special interest.

Listing NGR: SU2143699504

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
129054
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04093/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].