THE OLD FORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1303091
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
THE OLD FORGE, A38

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD FORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303091 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 01:48:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD FORGE, A38

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Stroud (District Authority)
Parish:
Whitminster
National Grid Reference:
SO 77675 08007

Details

WHITMINSTER A38, Whitminster SO 70 NE (east side) 6/274 The Old Forge II Inn. Possibly partly C15 on left side, enlarged to right and to front in early C17. Mostly timber-framed with variable sized panelling and painted brick infill, brick faced front wing with gable end mostly rendered, double Roman tile roof with stone coped verges and kneelers. Front wing has large stone lateral stack to left with flue raised in brick. Later wing roughcast faced to rear and right hand return. Originally probably small single range with L-shape addition in 2 stages, set back slightly beyond rear wall line and with rear hip, mostly 2 storeys. Scattered fenestration mostly of C20 but with one early 4-light wood mullion and transom to small gable on left of front wing and one blocked 3-light diamond mullion and plain transom to far right. Front gable has C20 windows with 2-brick string and small oval apex light. Left hand side has porch in corner with raking roof continued from line of gable wing, and with timber-frame containing representation of 2 swans in gable, and plank inner door. Known as The Swan Inn up to 1779. Said to have a sundial dated 1604. Interior has chamfered beams and joists with compartmented ceiling to front range. Very large timber bressumer to north end fireplace (no stack). (V.C.H. Gloucestershire, Vol X, 1972)

Listing NGR: SO7767508007

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
132532
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1972)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04662/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Bob Train. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].