MAIN BUILDING TO FARNBOROUGH HILL CONVENT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1303116

Date first listed: 13-Nov-1975

Statutory Address: MAIN BUILDING TO FARNBOROUGH HILL CONVENT, FARNBOROUGH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAIN BUILDING TO FARNBOROUGH HILL CONVENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303116 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 06:11:23.

Location

Statutory Address: MAIN BUILDING TO FARNBOROUGH HILL CONVENT, FARNBOROUGH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Rushmoor (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 87188 56449

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FARNBOROUGH ROAD 1. 5238 Farnborough Main building to Farnborough Hill Convent SU 8756 4/26 13.11.75 2. Large house by H E Kendall Jun. built for T G Longman (publisher) 1863; following his death in 1879 the house was bought by the widowed Empress of Napoleon III, who extended the building (1883), which became a 'court in exile' until her heath in 1920. During the present century used as an RC public school for girls, again being extended.

Stockbroker/baronial fantasy. 2 storeys, with 5 storey tower above entrance. The ground floor is in red brick, with lavish Bath stone dressings; above is an elaborate half-timbered superstructure in a late-medieval Continental style. Steep tile roofing, pyramid octagonal lead-covered turret, mini-hips and many gables; ornate barge boards to gables and dormers. Plaster infilling to framework, some with relief carvings, bands at first and second floor level. Mullion/ transom fenestration, in wood above but stone on ground floor. Highly decorated treatment includes the monogram of the first owner. Later additions of several periods; earlier in French style but the latest in plainer neo- Georgian.

Listing NGR: SU8762456569

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 137850

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing