WALL BETWEEN FORBURY ROAD AND ABBOTT'S WALK TO WEST OF ST JAMES' CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1303165
Date first listed:
14-Dec-1978
Statutory Address:
WALL BETWEEN FORBURY ROAD AND ABBOTT'S WALK TO WEST OF ST JAMES' CHURCH, FORBURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALL BETWEEN FORBURY ROAD AND ABBOTT'S WALK TO WEST OF ST JAMES' CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303165 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 14:52:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
WALL BETWEEN FORBURY ROAD AND ABBOTT'S WALK TO WEST OF ST JAMES' CHURCH, FORBURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Reading (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 71964 73616

Details

FORBURY ROAD 1. 5128 (South Side) Wall between Forbury Road and Abbott's Walk to west of St James' Church SU 7173 NE 1/486 II 2. Bounds Forbury Gardens to east. Probably circa 1840 or 1855. Flint with ashlar piers of varying height, Panels opposite the west front of St James's Church have C12 fragments of carving and architectural decoration. Ends in small gate to Abbot's Walk with arch of re-used voussoirs and chevron capitals (C12), stepped parapet over. Fragments of Norman Abbey to be found also in wall to west of St James's School playground.

Listing NGR: SU7196573617

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
38941
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03999/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].