This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HAUGHTON MILL HOUSE, HAUGHTON MILL COTTAGE AND STORAGE BUILDING BETWEEN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HAUGHTON MILL HOUSE, HAUGHTON MILL COTTAGE AND STORAGE BUILDING BETWEEN

List entry Number: 1303190

Location

HAUGHTON MILL HOUSE, HAUGHTON MILL COTTAGE AND STORAGE BUILDING BETWEEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Humshaugh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-May-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 239996

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUMSHAUGH HAUGHTON NY 97 SW 2/237 Haughton Mill House, Haughton Mill Cottage, and storage building between

GV II

Offices and drying shed of paper mill founded 1788 by Captain William Smith; cottage at west end mid-C19. Now two dwellings with garage and storage between and partly above. Squared stone with brick 1st floor, cut and tooled quoins and dressings, cottage coursed rubble with tooled-and-margined dressings. Welsh slate roof except for stone slates to eaves of main building, which has brick stacks.

South elevation: Main part 2 storeys, 5 + 3 + 4 bays with pedimented centre set slightly forward. Central flush-panelled door in rusticated surround with heavy triple keystone; 16-pane sash windows (some renewed) under wedge lintels on ground floor. 1st-floor drying shed has large wood-slatted openings, the central one round-arched, those in right part bricked-up and 12-pane sashes (2 renewed) inserted. Hipped roof with 2 ridge stacks and flanking stack to right.

Cottage to left 2 storeys, 2 bays. Central rebated segmental arch with inserted Yorkshire sash window under 6-pane overlight. Fixed 12-pane casement on left; 4-pane sashes to right and in gabled half dormers above. Stepped-and-banded end stacks. Included for group value.

Historical note. French assignats were forged here in 1793, to lower the value of the currency of the revolutionary French government. The mill had ceased working by 1888.

Listing NGR: NY9214372904

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 92143 72904

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303190 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 12:41:57.

End of official listing