This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1303224

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MIDDLE LITTLETON

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: North and Middle Littleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Jul-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 147613

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 04 NE NORTH & MIDDLE LITTLETON MIDDLE LITTLETON 2/21

30.7.59 Church of St Nicholas GV II*

Parish Church medieval, heavily restored by F Preedy 1871. Blue lias stone with plain tile roofs. West tower, Nave with South porch and South East chantry chapel, North transept and chancel with vestry. Tower 3 stage, C13 below with diagonal buttresses, C15 above with paired finials and large central gargoyles. Nave C13 originally, North wall rebuilt 1871, roof 1871, South wall one C15 3-light and one C13 lancet, gabled South porch C14 originally 2-storey but opened up in C19 and South East chantry chapel c.1530 built by T Smith of North Littleton: embattled with 3-light flat-head windows, one to East, 2 to South side. Tower arch C15 doorway, reset, with crudely modelled leaf spandrels and crenellated head. North transept C14 with 2-light North window with quatrefoil head and small cusped East lancet. Circa 1871 roof and arch to nave. Small pisoina. Chancel and vestry entirely rebuilt 1871, 2 lancets and 3-light window to South, 3-light EE window to East.

Norman round font, pulpit of C15 to C16 wooden panels, C16 bench ends. Gothic reredos with 3 panels painted on metal, 1876. Some medieval floor tiles in North transept and chancel wall niche.

Listing NGR: SP0805746990

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 08057 46990

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303224 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 05:22:17.

End of official listing