THE COURT HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1303244

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1950

Statutory Address: THE COURT HOUSE, CASTLE BANK

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE COURT HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303244 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 17:15:00.

Location

Statutory Address: THE COURT HOUSE, CASTLE BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Morpeth

National Grid Reference: NZ 20140 85691

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MORPETH CASTLE BANK NZ 2085

25/217 The Court House 11.8.50

GV II*

Former courthouse, and gateway to former gaol; now restaurant and apartments. 1822 by John Dobson. Ashlar. Castellated Gothic style. Massive square front block with square side towers and 8-sided apsidal back. 3 storeys, 3 bays. Central Tudor-arched carriage entry in 2-storey pointed-arched recess with triple-chamfered arch; 2-light Decorated window on 1st floor and very large Civic crest on second floor. Canted outer bays have large broached buttresses at the corners. Small diamond-paned windows with shouldered lintels on 1st floor and large mullioned-and-transomed crosses with shouldered lintels on 2nd floor. Battlemented parapet on large close-set triple-stop corbels.

Vaulted passageway through building has one bay of rib vault then pointed tunnel vault with transverse ribs.

Interior: Gothic, stone imperial stair with plaster lierne vault. Former courtroom, now bar and restaurant, has elaborate Tudor-Gothic ceiling divided into 8 large triangles with large moulded principal ribs on arched braces; each triangle sub-divided by smaller ribs and cross ribs and with tracery at the apex. 8-sided, canted stone screen with 8 pointed-arched doorways, and pierced parapet with Tudor-rose panels.

Listing NGR: NZ2013585698

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 238702

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing