Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1303380

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1955



Ordnance survey map of WOODLANDS FARM HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303380 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 11:49:36.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Woodlands

National Grid Reference: SU 04588 08203


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WOODLANDS SU 00 NE WOODLANDS FARM 5/162 Woodlands Farm House 18.3.55


Farmhouse. Main range early C18, block at right end C16. This the surviving part of the manor house of Mr Henry Hastings. The C18 range probably the original stables of the house of c1710 built by Mr Seymour - (Hutchins). The C18 range has brick walls, hipped tiled roof with coved plaster eaves cornice. 3 brick stacks along ridge, with moulded oversailing caps and recessed panels. 2 storeys. Plat band at first floor level. On ground floor, near the centre, a round arched recess - probably former carriage opening, now infilled, with door and window. On each side of this a doorway, one blocked, one with stable door, each with raised brick surround, gauged arch and moulded capping. Nearer right end a ledged door in timber trellised porch. Ground floor has it casements with glazing bars, most under gauged arches. First floor has 10 similar casements and 4 blind windows. Loft door near left end. Lean-to extension along rear wall and a small single storey gabled wing. Internally, chimney stacks in this range have large open fireplaces with timber lintels. Some chamfered ceiling beams. Roof of upper cruck construction - unusual for this date. C16 block at right end has had the front wall rebuilt in C18. End and rear walls of C16 work. Tiled roof, half hipped at right end. 2 storeys, - higher than the C18 range. In front wall, doorway at right end. Ground floor has large window with remains of oak mullioned and transomed frame behind a C20 metal frame. Blocked window on first floor. End gable wall has deep plinth, plat band at eaves, and diaper pattern in burnt headers. Ground and first floors each have a C16 2-light stone mullioned window with cinquefoiled lights, blocked internally. In rear wall, similar window on first floor. This wall under reconstruction at time of survey, ground floor window removed. Internally, some chamfered ceiling beams. Fireplace with elliptical brick arch on first floor. Under repair at time of survey. (R.C.H.M. Monument 3. Dorset Vol V. Hutchins, History of Dorset, III.154).

Listing NGR: SU0458808203


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 107621

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1975)
Hutchins, J, The History and Antiquities of the County of Dorset, (1861), 154

End of official listing