This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCHYARD WALLS, GATE AND WAR MEMORIAL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCHYARD WALLS, GATE AND WAR MEMORIAL

List entry Number: 1303431

Location

CHURCHYARD WALLS, GATE AND WAR MEMORIAL, DIAL PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Warkworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Sep-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 237195

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NU 2406 WARKWORTH DIAL PLACE (North end)

21/304 Churchyard walls, gate and War Memorial GV II

Churchyard walls, gate and war memorial. Wall probably mostly C18, incorporating some earlier fabric; gates early C19; war memorial c.1920 by M.H. Graham and H. Honeyman, moved to present site c.1960. Wall squared stone; gates wrought iron; war memorial ashlar and bronze.

South wall 1.5 metres high with flat slab coping ramped up at either side of gate near west end; square piers, with plinth and moulded pyramidal caps; holding double gates with patterned half-rail, downswept top rail and spear- topped bars. Incurved section of wall at south-west corner behind war memorial: stepped base has added plaque with 1939-45 names below plaque with names of 1914-18 war dead in keyed surround; frieze and top block, with bronze roundel and laurel sprays, and cornice. West wall has small gate near centre, also jambs of blocked gateway and two blocked arches further north. On north of churchyard is 1.5-metre high retaining wall, battered in profile. East wall has small gate near centre; north part incorporates end wall of former tithe barn (converted into cottages c.1900) with 2 slit vents and outline of original gable visible.

Included for group value.



Listing NGR: NU2465706197

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 9 February 2017.

Selected Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 9 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/165319
War Memorials Register, accessed 9 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/33982

National Grid Reference: NU 24657 06197

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303431 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 03:46:13.

End of official listing