BROCKLEY HALL FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1303457
Date first listed:
29-May-1987
Statutory Address:
BROCKLEY HALL FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BROCKLEY HALL FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303457 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 04:50:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
BROCKLEY HALL FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hesleyhurst
National Grid Reference:
NZ 08586 98709

Details

HESLEYHURST BROCKLEY HALL NZ 09 NE 8/39 Brockley Hall Farmhouse

GV II

Farmhouse. Probably originally a bastle house. C16 (recorded in 1579); restored and refronted 1666 by Thomas Wharton. Restored again 1858.

Random rubble, especially large to rear. Ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. One room deep, three rooms long. Irregular openings. 2 storeys, 4 windows.

On ground floor 5 bays. Doorway in 4th bay has roll-moulded Tudor-arched surround with fine hollow-chamfered outer order which is stepped above the arch. Lintel, dated 1666 has central shield bearing an 'M' and surrounded by foliage; flanking letters T W for Thomas Wharton; hoodmould with scrolled stops. Above a square panel inscribed R . In the 2nd bay a C19 doorway 1858 with chamfered alternating-block surround. C19 2-light double-chamfered mullioned windows. Gabled roof with flat coping and tall corniced end and ridge stacks of 2 conjoined shafts.

Single-storey C19 addition on left has boarded and battened door and small 4-pane casment.

Interior: rear wall, right end wall and internal cross wall are c.40 inches thick. This represents the C16 house. Another wall c.40 inches thick continues left of this on ground floor and suggests a single-storey addition to the original house. Old oak beams.

Listing NGR: NZ0858698709

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
236279
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/08823/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Dixon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].