This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1303465



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Newbrough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 239352

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/103 Newbrough Hall 20/10/52 GV II*

Country House 1812 by John Dobson, altered and remodelled internally by Deas 1902. Ashlar, slate roofs, ashlar stepped and corniced stacks. Main block 5 x 4 bays with later parallel rear wings joining coach house (dated 1813) to enclose a small courtyard. Front elevation: 2 storeys, 5 bays, symmetrical. Slightly projecting pedimented centre bay. Plinth. 5 semicircular steps to central flush- panelled door with flanking Tuscan engaged columns supporting doorhead under broad radial fanlight, the whole in round-arched recess with cut voussoirs. Recessed 12-pane sash windows. Right elevation: ground floor curved bay with 3 12-pane sashes, 3 further sashes, all insertions of 1902. 1st floor 2 blind windows, 2 12-pane sashes. Roof dormer with 16-pane sash. To right lower rear wing with various openings. Left elevation; 2 12-pane sashes and 2 blind windows to each floor. To left lower rear wing with various openings.

Rear elevation of main block heightened in 1902. Round-headed stair window with dated keystone. Rear elevation of former coach house has segmental arch with dated keystone, and oeuil de boeuf above.

Listing NGR: NY8750768258

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 87507 68258


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303465 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 09:45:15.

End of official listing