HINTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1303493

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Statutory Address: HINTON HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HINTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303493 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 19:54:39.

Location

Statutory Address: HINTON HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Bibury

National Grid Reference: SP 10477 07741

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIBURY ABLINGTON SP 1007-1107 10/49 Hinton House 23.1.52 II Large detached house incorporating former row of houses. Dated 1753; early and mid C19 additions. Random and coursed rubble limestone, partly roughcast rendered; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Two-storey; attic to east wing. Accumulation results in L-plan. East front: main range runs to right in 2 parts, left with 2-window 16-pane sash fenestration. Two-window 16-pane sash fenestration to upper floor of right part; ground floor tripartite sash to right, doorway to left with fielded-panelled door, fanlight and flat-roofed porch with panelled pilasters and 2 parapet-mounted urns. South: left part of range has datestone 'S T / 1753' and 2- window recessed chamfered mullioned fenestration, 3-light to ground floor, single and 2-light to upper floor. Segmental arched ground floor fenestration to right; 2 eaves-mounted gabled dormers with 16-pane sashes in rendered upper floor. Mixed ridge-mounted chimneys with moulded caps. Single-storey outbuildings attached at east end of range. West side: staggered rear wall of main range built into bank against road. Two 16-pane sashes in gabled eaves- mounted dormers. Various tall ashlar chimneys with moulded caps. Gable end of south-facing range to right with octagonal chimney. Interior not inspected. Probably built for Samuel Tawney and enlarged in early C19 by William Hinton. (A.R.J. Jurica, 'Bibury' in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, pp 121-44)

Listing NGR: SP1047707741

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 127295

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1981), 21-44

End of official listing