COLLEGE DENE AND PART OF GARDEN WALL COLLEGE HOUSE COLLEGE HOUSE (EAST WING)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1303504
Date first listed:
25-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
COLLEGE DENE AND PART OF GARDEN WALL, 1-2
Statutory Address:
COLLEGE HOUSE (EAST WING), THE GREEN
Statutory Address:
COLLEGE HOUSE, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of COLLEGE DENE AND PART OF GARDEN WALL
COLLEGE HOUSE
COLLEGE HOUSE (EAST WING)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303504 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 04:28:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
COLLEGE DENE AND PART OF GARDEN WALL, 1-2
Statutory Address:
COLLEGE HOUSE (EAST WING), THE GREEN
Statutory Address:
COLLEGE HOUSE, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Northleach with Eastington
National Grid Reference:
SP 11296 14525

Details

NORTHLEACH WITH THE GREEN SP 1114 EASTINGTON (south side), Northleach 8/88 College House, College House (east wing), and Nos 1 and 2 College Dene and part of garden wall GV II

Large house now divided into four. Reputed to be C17, substantially altered and extended late C18-early C19. Coursed squared and dressed limestone, stone slate roof, ashlar stacks. 'U'-shaped plan. Two storeys and attic with 3 flat-roofed C20 dormers lit by 4-pane sashes. Symmetrical, 3-windowed garden front lit by 4-light stone-mullioned casements with transoms and king mullions. Stone-mullioned cross window over porch. Central part- glazed C19 door wth 'Gothic' glazing within flat-chamfered 4- centred surround within stone porch. Basket-headed entrance with carved spandrels and stopped hood to porch. Gabled parapet decorated with Queen's College's heraldic shield over entrance. Stone-mullioned 2-storey canted bay lighting right-hand return. C19 wing set back right with stone-mullioned casements to first floor. Three triangular roof louvres. Left-hand return lit by tall C19 two and 3-light casements. Gable-end and axial stacks with moulded cappings. Subsidiary features; C19 wall of coursed squared and dressed limestone, c3m high running for cl0m south of south-west corner of house. Wall contains C19 studded plank door within moulded 4-centred arched surround with stopped hood. Wall stepped up over door. Shield over door (viewed from garden with initials 'H.A.' (Henry Askew) and date 18_ 8. In the C17 a house on this site was known as Laverack's Great House. In the late C18 and early C19 the house used as the residence of the headmaster of Westwood's Grammar School. Interior not accessible. (Trans B.G.A.S. p 6, 1907)

Listing NGR: SP1129614525

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
130525
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, (1907), 6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16037/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].