CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1303560

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1957

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303560 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 07:33:53.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Reading (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 70889 74892

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCH ROAD 1. 5128 (South Side) Caversham Church of St Peter SU 7074 11/265 22.5.57. II* 2. Church of England. Of various dates from C12, principally C15 and high Victorian. Pleasant flint built garish church with stone dressings and old tile roof. West tower (1878) of 3 stages with hipped roof screened by high corbelled parapet, by Morris and Stallwood. 4 gables to east (chancel and aisles of equal height, vestry to north slightly set back). Nothing remains of the Norman church except for the south doorway with crude chevron and a reset window now in the Vestry. 5 bay nave with 3 bay chancel (lengthened 1924-25 by Sir Ninian Comper). C15 north aisle with good perpendicular east chapel which has angel busts on capital; square frame 3 light windows. South aisle added 1878 (by Morris and Stallwood) 3 bays with 3 light east window with intersecting glazing. Interior : nave has kingpost and wind brace roof. 1674 Loveday memorial in south aisle. Montague vault in north-east corner. Norman Purbeck marble font.

Listing NGR: SU7088974892

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 38868

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing