This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1303573

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Healey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Apr-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Jun-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 240505

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HEALEY HEALEY VILLAGE NZ 05 NW. Church of St. John 10/135

15.4.69 II

Parish church, 1860 by Major C.E. Davis of Bath; west tower 1890 by Montgomery and Carr. Rough-faced stone with ashlar dressings, rock-faced margined quoins; stone slate roof. Nave with apsidal sanctuary, west tower and south porch. Free Romanesque style. South elevation of nave: chamfered plinth; projecting gabled porch with heavy clasping buttresses and arch with chamfered inner order on free-standing shafts, outer order with huge indented ornament. Single-light windows in porch returns, 3 similar in wall to east and 5 in north wall; coped east gable with kneelers and finial cross. light Sanctuary has single-light side windows and 3-light east window; central light with indented arch, flanked by shafts with pillow capitals. 3-stage west tower: west window re-set from 1860 west end, unconvential 3-light pattern in circular surround; single-light windows to 2nd stage and 2-light openings in belfry, above moulded string; moulded parapet on corbels.

Interior: plain round arch to sanctuary, double-chamfered tower arch. C20 wagon roof (architect's plan for stone vault abandoned after 2 collapses). Simple C12-style font. Dickinson memorial window of 1893 with infant Samuel; 3 windows by L.C. Evetts with scenes from life of St. Cuthbert, 1955/60.

Listing NGR: NZ0145658375

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 01456 58375

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303573 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 05:04:03.

End of official listing