This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HAUXLEY HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HAUXLEY HALL

List entry Number: 1303591

Location

HAUXLEY HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Hauxley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 236805

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAUXLEY HIGH HAUXLEY NU 20.SE 8/136 Hauxley Hall 10/1/53 II*

House, now subdivided. North part dated 1724, with major late C18 extension giving new front facing east. Squared stone, tooled on south and east fronts; Welsh slate roofs with pantiles to upper slopes on north and west; old brick stacks. Roughly square plan with L-plan kitchen wing on west. South front in Gothick style.

North elevation 3 storeys, 5 bays. Three right bays are early C18 house with central part-glazed 4-panel door in moulded surround under lintel panel with relief inscription M K (Matthew Kirton) 1724; paired 8-pane sashes to ground floor, paired 8-pane casements to 1st floor and paired 4-pane sashes to 2nd floor; windows to lower floors in moulded surrounds. Left bays are late C18 addition in same style-but with blind windows; trompe l'oeil 2nd floor left. Steeply-pitched hipped roof with stacks on and at right end of ridge. Single- storey 2-bay kitchen wing to right with renewed paired 8-pane sashes in C19 moulded surround and blocked window; 2-bay right return shows paired 12-pane sashes under keyed lintels and large square ridge stack.

East elevation 2 storeys, 7 bays, symmetrical. Ground floor sill and 1st floor bands. Central part-glazed 6-panel door under wooden swell frieze and dentil cornice; 12-pane sash windows. Hipped roof with 2 ridge stacks.

South elevation 2 storeys, 3 bays, symmetrical. Bands as on east. Central blind doorway under 4-pane sash window with Gothick head in 4-centred arch. Flanking 2-storey bows with 3 similar windows to each floor, the lower with moulded imposts and arches; raised parapets.

All stacks have double-banded tops. Interior: South part has Entrance Hall, originally full-height of house, with inserted 3-bay screen of round piers carrying moulded round arches in front of spiral stair; curved treads and moulded ramped handrail on wrought-iron twist balusters. Fielded-panel doors with swell friezes and dentil cornices. Dining Room has Gothick decoration with plaster wall panels and arcaded cornice, doors in ogee-arched surrounds and carved stone fireplace. Sitting Room has similar cornice and richly-carved stone fireplace. South- east bedroom has Gothick doors with beaded panelling, cornice with flower ornament and carved stone fireplace; south-west bedroom has similar doors and plainer fireplace.

North part: Fielded-panel doors and shutters throughout. Dog-leg closed string stair with urn-on-vase balusters, panelled square newels and broad moulded handrail. Bedrooms have old cupboards with H-hinges. Former kitchen has segmental-arched recesses and blocked fireplace.

Historical notes: The Kirton family are first recorded as holding lands in Hauxley in the early C17; their estate was purchased by the Widdringtons in 1762. John Widdrington who held the estate 1783-1797 was probably responsible for the remodelling of the Hall.



Listing NGR: NU2787303106

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NU 27873 03106

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303591 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 04:37:43.

End of official listing