- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303600.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2021 at 10:50:27.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- NY 97574 63253
CORBRIDGE DILSTON HALL
NY 96 SE
Roman Catholic Chapel, early C17 perhaps incorporating medieval fabric, reroofed c.1850. Coursed rubble with roughly-shaped quoins and cut dressings; stone slate roof (formerly lead). Simple rectangular plan with narrower western stair turret. Gothic Survival style.
South wall stair turret + 3 bays. Turret has chamfered loop and moulded string below crenellated moulded parapet; west face has chamfered loop and corbelled projection to left; on north side a blocked doorway with triangular head beneath empty panel and chamfered loops. Bellcote behind has triangular-headed opening and moulded cap. Nave has old boarded door on south in moulded surround with flattened triangular head, with 2 chamfered single-light windows (upper to former gallery) and south-east window of 3 pointed lights in square frame, with hoodmould. North wall shows three 3-light windows, with traces of blocked door beneath the western; built-in slab with cross and inscription MARIA, in moulded surround. East end has window of 3 pointed lights under round-headed arch with hoodmould; panel with Radcliffe arms above. Roman tombstone built into wall below and small loop to Derwentwater vault just above ground level.
Interior: Old box stalls with fielded panelling, C18 altar rails with moulded balusters. Old boarded stair in chamfered surround. 4-bay roof has cambered tie beams carrying purlins and ridge; central tie shows mortices for timbers of former gallery (Derwentwater family pew). C17 iron-bound chest. Clear leaded glass in all windows. Derwentwater vault (not seen) has stone stair, beneath flag in chancel, and ribbed vault.
Rare example of a Post-Reformation Recusant Chapel, traditionally said to have been built with finances raised for the Gunpower Plot (1605). Anglican from 1733. The Derwentwater Vault was cleared in 1874.
Listing NGR: NY9751163211
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing