Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303707.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2021 at 16:40:36.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 00143 66283


CORBRIDGE AYDON NZ 0066 19/97 Aydon Castle. Main buildings and courtyard walls


Fortified Manor house. Solar and east wing c.1280, hall (replacing earlier structure) slightly later. North-west range and courtyard wall probably associated with licence to crenellate granted to Robert de Raymes 1305. North- west range remodelled early C14, outer bailey later C14. Minor alterations in C16, C17 and C19. C13 parts good-quality squared stone, later additions coursed rubble with dressings; stone slate roofs.

Original C13 buildings cruciform in plan, on edge of steep valley side. North- west range and courtyard north of hall. Irregular outer bailey to north and west, with gateway to north-west and apsidal tower at north corner.

C13 parts have chamfered plinth, and eaves string with stone drain spouts. Stepped clasping buttresses to south and east, and garderobe projection at south-east corner of east wing. Early C14 crenellated parapets. Shouldered- arched doorways to hall block; door to solar undercroft dated 1653 with initials WC HC (William and Henry Collinson). Ground floor windows mostly chamfered loops; some inserted C19 sashes. External stone stair on north of hall to landing with balcony on moulded corbels; chases of 2 former canopies in stonework above. Hall doorway has double-chamfered pointed arch with moulded hood. Hall and solar have 2-light windows with twin lancet lights under pointed arches with moulded hoods; solar north window has quatrefoil in spandrel enclosing bearded mask. East wing has single-light windows, that to east with foliage hoodmould stops. Two projecting stacks on east of solar, upper parts rebuilt C20. Stack on south of hall has semicircular top with pointed vents and pyramidal cap at eaves level. North-west wing has scattered fenestration, with shouldered heads to several doorways and 2-light windows; doorway on north with lintel inscribed 1657 WC.

Interior: C13 parts have good contemporary fireplaces to solar and solar basement, simpler fireplace in hall basement. Barrel vault in north-west range is probably C17 insertion. Stone-walled screens passage in hall is later medieval replacement of timber partitions; chamber to west, and room above, have fireplaces with C16 Carnaby arms. Chamber in east wing with wall cupboard, sink and garderobe; further cupboards and sinks in north-west (kitchen) range. 2-light windows in hall and solar have window seats. C17 hall roof has principal- rafter trusses with collars. North-west range has roof with curved principals, perhaps C16.

Courtyard wall has segmental-pointed gateway and crenellated parapet with arrow loops in merlons; square-headed doorway in north-west range gives access to wall walk.

An exceptionally well-preserved building unique in the County. Its interpretation has aroused some controversy, as to whether the house was planned as two dwellings since functions on ground and 1st floors seem to be duplicated.

Northumberland County History X (1910) 350-366 (W.H. Knowles).

Listing NGR: NZ0014366283


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Craster, H H E, 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parish of Corbridge, , Vol. 10, (1914), 350-366


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15463/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steve Miller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].