CHURCH OF OUR LADY AND ST CUTHBERT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1303720
Date first listed:
07-Mar-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF OUR LADY AND ST CUTHBERT, HIGHFIELD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF OUR LADY AND ST CUTHBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303720 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 23:02:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF OUR LADY AND ST CUTHBERT, HIGHFIELD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Prudhoe
National Grid Reference:
NZ 09465 62717

Details

NZ 06 SE PRUDHOE HIGHFIELD LANE

18/134 Church of Our Lady and St. Cuthbert

II

R.C. Church. 1891 by Dunn, Hanson and Dunn. Ashlar with Lakeland slate roof. Nave, chancel, north transept, south vestries, south porch and south-west turret 5-bay nave has 2-light windows with mixed Perpendicular and Flamboyant tracery. Similar tracery to glazed sides of porch and to large 4-light nave east window. West end (ritual east) is polygonal apse having shafted 2-light windows with Geometric tracery. Figures of Christ and Virgin and Child in carved tabernacles beneath west window. Fine carving also to capitals of window shafts and to 3 niches with shields and foliage in transept west wall; and many ornamental gargoyles.

Gabled nave roof with steeply ridged coping, and ridge tiles in form of intersecting round arches.

Octagonal bell turret with cusped openings, gargoyles and spirelet.

Interior has finely painted chancel roof.

The church was built at Prudhoe Hall but reconstucted at present site in 1904.

Listing NGR: NZ0946562717

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
239489
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12987/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].