CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1303743
Date first listed:
28-Jul-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Jul-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303743 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 20:00:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Blyth
National Grid Reference:
NZ 27512 79690

Details

HORTON , Cramlington NZ 27 NE NZ 276979 4/17 Church of St. Mary (formerly listed as 28.7.50 Horton Church) II Parish Church. On medieval site, rebuilt 1827 retaining late C18 or early C19 transept and remodelled 1903 by W.S. Hicks. Squared stone with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof. Georgian 'preaching box' with west tower and north transept, slightly later north-east vestry/organ chamber and 1903 porch south of tower. Remodelling in C14/15 style.

4-bay south wall with plinth and 2-light windows; built into wall between windows an early C19 sundial, unusual inscribed slab to Anne Harbottle (?) 1517 with incised shears, and 1783 pedimental mural monument. Similar windows on north of transept and in wall further west. 5-light east window with quatrefoil panel over; coped east gable with finial cross. Vestry/organ chamber has early C19 lancets on north and east. Tower of 2 stages divided by chamfered string; 2-light west window. Single bell openings with roughly- arched heads on north, south and west; weathering of higher-pitched 1827 roof visible on east. Band below 1903 embattled parapet with crocketed angle pinnacles. Porch with diagonal buttresses, moulded plinth and cornice; boarded double doors in moulded arch, flat parapet with cross fleury.

Interior: 1827 south doorway within porch has panelled double doors under moulded round arch with imposts and beaded keystone, holding re-set C12 tympanum with diaper pattern. Segmental arch to tower, 4-centred arch to transept and elliptical arch to organ chamber. Hammer-beam roof. Furnishings and fittings mostly 1903. Panelled dado with brattished rail, stalls, screens to organ chamber and tower, pews and pulpit. Mosaic floored sanctuary. Good quality east window of Virgin and Child. Mural monument to William Reed, 1860, who died "while engaged in the performance of his duties as resident engineer on the Calcutta and South Eastern Railway". Bell in tower (not seen), inscribed 'Thos. Ogle, Esq., 1681'.

The north transept was built by Mr. Baker for the accommodation of his family and other inhabitants of West Hartford.

J. Hodgson, History of Northumberland, Vol. II part II, 265-6.



Listing NGR: NZ2751279690

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
235981
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Crawford Hodgson, J, 'A History of Northumberland' in Hexhamshire Part II Hexham Whitley Chapel Allendale and St John Lee and the Parish of Chollerton the Chapelry of Kirkheaton the Parish of Throcrington, , Vol. 2, (1897), 265-6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03672/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Erik Borg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].