NEWTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1303795
Date first listed:
01-Sep-1988
Statutory Address:
NEWTON HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEWTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303795.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 11:12:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
NEWTON HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Newton-by-the-Sea
National Grid Reference:
NU 23580 25337

Details

NU 22 NW NEWTON-Y-THE-SEA HIGH NEWTON-BY-THE-SEA

1/184 Newton House 10.1.53

GV II

House, C18 enlarged and remodelled c.1800; porch late C19. Front block squared stone; wing rubble, largely rendered; porch ashlar. Welsh slate roof with stacks rebuilt in brick on old bases. L-plan.

Front elevation 2 storeys, 3 bays, symmetrical. Plinth, 1st floor band. Central flat-roofed porch has rounded corners with channeled rustication flanked by pilasters; moulded cornice and blocking course. 6-panel door under plain fanlight in moulded round arch with keystone, on left return; arched window with plain sash in front. 4-pane sash windows with slightly-projecting sills. Moulded eaves cornice. Hipped roof with 2 ridge stacks. 2-bay returns show similar fenestration. Right return shows join between C18 and c.1800 fabric between bays; set back to right is a 3-bay rear wing with small- paned sashes and, at left end, gabled porch holding flush-panelled door with plain overlight; hip-ended roof with one ridge stack.

Interior: Two fireplaces have elaborate plasterwork said to be by Napoleonic prisoners of war; that in drawing room has seashells with female figure with anchor, that in sitting room has triple-spired cathedral, hounds and birds. Hall has harebell cornice and ceiling rose. Stone dog-leg stair with stick balusters and moulded wreathed handrail. Other rooms have cornices and doors of 6 panels with beaded surrounds.



Listing NGR: NU2358025337

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
237075
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/14199/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].