THE TALBOT HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1303881
Date first listed:
06-Sep-1954
Statutory Address:
THE TALBOT HOTEL, 14, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE TALBOT HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303881 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 02:34:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE TALBOT HOTEL, 14, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Tetbury
National Grid Reference:
ST 89166 93121

Details

ST 8893-8993 TETBURY MARKET PLACE (east side)

7/294 No 14 (The Talbot Hotel) 6.9.54



GV II

Hotel. Late C16 core, mainly mid C17 with early C18 front. Rubble stone with quoins, dressed stone lintels, sill band at 2nd floor level, cornice and coped blocking course. Cotswold stone roof with stone and brick stacks. Front range with 2 long rear ranges, that to right wth 3 cross gables and probably originally several cottages. Main front of 3 storeys. 3 windows, triple 8- and 12-pane sashes flanking central semi-circular headed window. Central entrance originally for pack horses, now with C20 glazed doors. Portico supported by wooden pillars to left and 2 Roman Doric pilasters to right with bay filled in between. Right return has curved wall, probably containing newel stair round fireplace. Ground floor room to left has C16 doorway in place of chimney and a thick wall marking probable original building line. Building recorded as Beerhouse from 1580, as the Talbot from 1685. Beneath gents toilet to back of left hand wing is large stone water cistern, about 2m deep, and approx 3m x 4m in size. In cellar in right wing is deep well with water on surface. Wing to right has 4 chimneys, some with newel stair. Beyond this wing, stable block with keyed oculus, now a skittle alley.

Listing NGR: ST8916693121

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
128569
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/13784/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Catherine Prior. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].