MARKET HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1303914
Date first listed:
06-Sep-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Mar-1985
Statutory Address:
MARKET HOUSE, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MARKET HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303914 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 04:09:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
MARKET HOUSE, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Tetbury
National Grid Reference:
ST 89062 93118

Details

ST 8893-8993 TETBURY MARKET PLACE

7/287 Market House 6.9.54 (formerly listed as Town Hall)

I

Market House. 1655, altered in 1740 and 1817. Timber-framed. Faced in roughcast to all sides except north which is in coursed and dressed stone with some snecking, hipped Cotswold stone slate roof with projecting eaves modillion cornice in wood in 2 ranges with gables in centre to north, west and south. The whole supported on 3 rows of open Tuscan arcades of stone with bases, forming a rectangle 2 bays deep by 7 bays long, with additional filled-in bay to south. East side originally had additional floor and row of windows. North side retains original appearance with 2 large round arches with chamfered voussoirs and enlarged keystones with moulded impost course. Tapering pilasters on bases and plinths at sides and between with moulded cornice breaking forward for "capitals". Blind oval panel in north gable. Buttresses to outside walls at north end and attached Tuscan columns on inner face of arches. West side has clock face in gable and copper roofed cupola with bell and weathervane with dolphins. Floor over arcades has seven 3-light cambered head lattice Lights with wooden square hoodmoulds, with door above centre of arcade in same style. South end bay was filled in in 1817 to accommodate town fire engine. It has large central double doors on 1st floor with 10 stone steps up, and large moulded lintel with keystone and square hoodmould and moulded jambs. Similar smaller doorways flanking steps on ground flor, all with studded boarded doors, with 2-light stone mullion blind windows over. Gable to south also has clock face. Windows to east altered, some as west side. Interior: Main room of 5 bays with central row of large wooden columns on carved bases with debased Ionic columns, large plain impost blocks and carved side bracing. Strut bracing to sides is chamfered. (VCH, Gloucestershire Vol X1, 1976).

Listing NGR: ST8906293118

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
128562
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1976)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/13784/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Catherine Prior. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].