This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST HUBERT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST HUBERT

List entry Number: 1303916

Location

CHURCH OF ST HUBERT, BLANDFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Corfe Mullen

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 107637

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CORFE MULLEN SY 99 NE BLANDFORD ROAD (South) 10/10 Church of St Hubert 18.3.55 - II* Parish church. C13 nave and chancel, C14 porch and west tower, extensions of 1841, vestry mid C19, and restorations of 1850, 1865, 1930, and 1949. Rubble carstone (ironstone) with limestone dressings, cement rendered on the north side , brickwork in English bond; buttresses, thinner buttresses of the C19. Tile roof, stone slates to the lower courses. Single cell chancel and nave, with a former north porch now a chapel, a large south transept (1841), western tower, and vestry (entered via the original priest's door). Lancets, triple at the east end, two Perpendicular windows to the nave (north side), coupled traceried windows (C19) high in the south transept and chapel. The tower has three stepped stages, diagonal buttresses, and an early C16 window above the west door (the entrance). Inside, the C15 roof has a plaster barrel-vaulted ceiling, with moulded ribs and carved bosses, integrated to a matching roof above the south transept. C15 Purbeck font with panelled octagonal bowl, on a plain stem and moulded base. There is a gallery at the west end, with a panelled front, brought forward diagonally to a short square centre, resting on six thin spiral cast-iron columns; another gallery at the south end of the transept has a flat panelled front, on four thin metal columns. There is a Royal Coat of Arms for George III. RCHM

Listing NGR: SY9767098350

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset II South East, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SY 97670 98350

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303916 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 10:42:23.

End of official listing