WAR MEMORIAL IN CHURCHYARD, ABOUT 5.5M SOUTH OF EAST END OF CHANCEL, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1303995

Date first listed: 07-Sep-1987

Statutory Address: WAR MEMORIAL IN CHURCHYARD, ABOUT 5.5M SOUTH OF EAST END OF CHANCEL, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WAR MEMORIAL IN CHURCHYARD, ABOUT 5.5M SOUTH OF EAST END OF CHANCEL, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303995 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 21:37:30.

Location

Statutory Address: WAR MEMORIAL IN CHURCHYARD, ABOUT 5.5M SOUTH OF EAST END OF CHANCEL, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury (District Authority)

Parish: Stanton

National Grid Reference: SP 06905 34314

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STANTON CHURCH LANE SP 0634-0734 (west side) 11/67 War memorial in churchyard, about 5.5m south of east end of chancel, Church of St Michael and All Angels GV II War memorial. 1919, by Sir Ninian Comper. Ashlar stone. Octagonal base, cross on shaft above. Base with plinth, nosing for seat edge; further octagonal step above; square base with octagon worked on top with shaped corners, laurel wreath in relief on north and south faces. Tapered octagonal shaft, moulded capital, carrying tall carved head, gabled on 4 sides, with pinnacle above; head with crucifixion on west, virgin and child on east, St George and dragon on north and south faces. (T. Edwards in Country Life, 1952; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1970)

Listing NGR: SP0690334314

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 10 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 134849

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1952)
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 10 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/103051
War Memorials Register, accessed 10 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/21013

End of official listing