WEST KNIGHTON FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1304021

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1956

Statutory Address: WEST KNIGHTON FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEST KNIGHTON FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304021 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2018 at 10:27:01.

Location

Statutory Address: WEST KNIGHTON FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: West Knighton

National Grid Reference: SY 73209 87672

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 78 NW WEST KNIGHTON

6/76 West Knighton Farmhouse 26.1.56 II GV

Detached house. Early C18 cove, with much internal alteration and refenestration, early C19. Brick walls in English bond with a first floor plat band. Slate roof with gable ends. C19 brick stacks at north gable, and on ridge at centre. Plan: the house comprises an entrance wall and staircase flanked by two heated rooms with a kitchen, beyond one of them giving a long straight range divided into four compartments. Two storeys and attics. West elevation has 6 windows and one window to former cheese room, rebuilt sash windows with cambered brick arches. Porch, left of centre, C20, brick walls and with a gabled slate roof. Outer door panelled and glazed C20. Inner door, 6 flush panels and a fan light over C19. The south end of the house formerly contained a cheese room and dairy. The Richards family had a seat here built by James Richards Esq, in late C17. (R.C.H.M. Dorset II, p.137 (3). Hutchins, History and Antiquities of the County of Dorset, Vol II, p.498).

Listing NGR: SY7320987672

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 105968

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 137
Hutchins, J, The History and Antiquities of the County of Dorset, (1868), 498

End of official listing