HIGHER LEWELL FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1304031
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1956
Statutory Address:
HIGHER LEWELL FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HIGHER LEWELL FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304031 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 04:37:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
HIGHER LEWELL FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
West Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
West Knighton
National Grid Reference:
SY 73401 87577

Details

SY 78 NW WEST KNIGHTON

6/78 Higher Lewell Farmhouse 26.1.56 II GV

Attached farmhouse. C17 base of walls, largely rebuilt in 1760's and dated in vitrified headers RSP 176, extended with outbuildings to east and an extension to house to west in mid C19. Squared rubble walls with brick work in Flemish bond to much of ground and all first floors. Plat band over first floor windows. Broadmayne brick to C19 extensions. Clay tile roofs to main house with gable ends. Slate roofs for remainder. Stacks, rendered on left gable, brick on ridge, centre, brick on right slate gable. Original house, 2 storeys. 3 windows, first floor: sash window, elliptical bay window projecting over the porch made up of 4 casements with glazing bars, sash window. Ground floor: plank door front door flush panelled with 2 glazed lights, C19 and C20, canted bay window with sashes, C19. Extension to house at west end, 2 storeys with 3 light wood and cast iron casements. Attached stables and cart shed at east end, with brick walls and slate roof, stable door with plank door over, carriage entrance to the right of this with 2-leaf plank doors and segmental arch over. (R.C.H.M. Dorset II, p.137 (4)).

Listing NGR: SY7340187577

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
105970
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 137

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07673/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Rev Andrew Salmon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].